Connect with us

News

Few People Trapped in Mudslide Across BC Highway

Published

on

BC, Canada

Officials believe about 10 people have been trapped in their vehicles after a mud slide on the main road south of B.C. per week.

The Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Task Force, a highly specialized team trained to rescue people from a major collision, was deployed on Highway 7 near Agassiz, B.C., east of Vancouver.

“Our understanding is that there were six to ten people trapped,” party director David Boone told CBC News. (In a telephone interview just after midnight on PT.)

He said his team had been told that some of the occupants of the vehicles had survived the first crash.

“We understand that there were people traveling in cars who were able to warn 911 callers that they needed help,” he said.

At the time of the interview, Boone had never personally seen the rubble site. But said it was believed to be at least 100 meters wide and 100 meters long.

“Obviously it comes from the mountain above, but it is still unknown how much the mountain was affected,” he said.

Heavy mud clogged the main road near Agassiz on Sunday evening after heavy rainfall over the day.

Eyewitness Statements

Scores of drivers parked on the side of the highway after the slope of the hill and the road in front of them in the valley below. Adam Wuisman and his fiancée were left homeless, one falling in front of them and the other behind.

“Down in the village, you can hear people screaming and screaming for help,” he told CBC News by telephone while interviewing him in the car.

“We must have just missed the first [slide] and now we are in the middle of both. There are about 200, 300 cars parked, waiting for some kind of renovation.”

Wuisman, who was driving home from Richmond, B.C., from Nelson, said he had not seen the first people to respond to the scene after three hours trapped on the road.

“I don’t think they can get here,” he said.

The HUSAR team, based in Vancouver, was expected to arrive at the slide by 1:45 p.m.

Upper Fraser Valley RCMP and Agassiz Fire Department were not immediately available for comment.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

In a long-running meeting, Biden and Xi held strong US-China relations

Published

on

President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping met on Monday in a summit that did not go unnoticed but allowed the two world powers to participate in a wide range of sensitive issues – including Taiwan, trade and human rights.

In a 3-hour debate the White House noted as “respectable and straightforward and… open,” neither sides made any promises or resigned. But the negotiation was to acknowledge that the conflict, whether trade or the South China Sea, could have serious consequences worldwide.

At that point, Biden’s chief executive officer said Biden had raised with Xi the need for stable talks on issues such as nuclear and hypersonic weapons, a China building at a rapid pace that has shocked defense officials. Biden has raised concerns about China’s oppression of minors in Xinjiang province, about unfair trade and economic practices and its recent violence against Taiwan.

Xi, according to China’s central broadcaster, has given assurances that China, which has promised to forge Taiwan and China forcibly if necessary, will “do everything possible” to achieve a “reunification” peacefully.

The two leaders also discussed the existence of a climate crisis and the important role played by their countries, the world’s two largest greenhouse gases. They also talk about how they will continue with this promise in the future.

China announces high coal price in the days following the U.N. climate summit

“As I have said before, it seems to be our responsibility – as the leaders of China and America – to ensure that competition between our countries does not get into conflicts, whether intentional or unintentional,” Biden told Xi briefly earlier. of journalists at the White House before the start of the conference. “A simple, straightforward competition. To me it seems we need to establish a mind-blowing approach, to be clear and honest where we disagree and to work together where our interests meet, especially on important global issues such as climate change. “

Xi said differences of opinion and blocs would bring “inevitable disaster” to the world. “The effects of the Cold War are far from over,” he said.

Xi also warned that China would take “strong measures” against any measures to support Taiwan’s independence from China, its ruling Chinese Communist Party that has never ruled Taiwan. “Such movements are very dangerous, like playing with fire. The one who plays with fire will burn, ”he said.

Negotiations on Taiwan – perhaps the worst case scenario between the two countries – “escalated,” and Biden “clearly affirmed” a one-China policy that recognizes Beijing’s position as the end of China’s legal regime and related policy laws, a. a senior administrative officer, spoke on condition of anonymity to explain the private conference. He also reminded Xi that as a member of parliament he had voted for the Taiwan Relations Relations Act of 1979, so national security adviser Jake Sullivan said on Tuesday, “he understands deeply … the united states.”

The White House, in a statement, said the United States was “strongly opposed to one-sided efforts to change the situation. China has raised threats against Taiwan, flies around the island and holds military tests mimicking an island attack that we consider a rebel province. On Monday, just hours before the summit, Taiwan’s defense ministry said China had sent six planes to its air defense base. Taiwan sees itself as an independent country.

Continue Reading

News

The Russian military admits the satellite was “destroyed” during the test, confirming US allegations

Published

on

Moscow

Russia’s Defense Ministry on Tuesday admitted that it had destroyed a satellite during an arrow test, confirming allegations made by the United States earlier.


“The Russian Ministry of Defense has carried out a successful inspection. Which resulted in the collapse of the Russian spacecraft ‘Tselina-D’. Which had been circling since 1982, was destroyed,” the military said in a statement.

U.S. officials on Monday criticized Russia for testing “dangerous and careless” missiles that exploded on its satellite. Hence creating a cloud of debris threatening the International Space Station.

NASA said crew members aboard the ISS – currently four Americans, Germans and two Russians – were awakened and forced to take refuge on their return ships.

U.S. officials say they were not notified in advance of a satellite missile test. Which is the fourth such strike from space – that produced more than 1,500 pieces of traceable debris.

The Russian military said it was planning to strengthen its defensive capabilities but denied that the tests were dangerous.

“The United States is well aware that the resulting fragments, in terms of testing time and orbital boundaries. They have also not posed a threat to orbital stations, spacecraft and space missions,” he said.

The confirmation of the US claims came after Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov dismissed them.

“To declare that the Russian Federation poses a threat to the peaceful use of the land, at least, is hypocritical,” Lavrov told a news conference in Moscow, adding “there are no facts” about the allegations.

Continue Reading

News

Liverpool explosion: Three arrested after a car crash at the hospital

Published

on

Three men are arrested after a Suicide bomb Car Crash outside the Liverpool Hospital.

A taxi carrying one passenger left just before 11:00 GMT on Memorial Sunday, as it was about to start a two-minute silence across the country, and it exploded.

The passenger was pronounced dead at the scene and will be officially identified.

The male driver was injured and was in a stable condition in hospital.

Liverpool Explosion: What we know so far
Counter Terrorism Police North West investigators say three men – aged 29, 26 and 21 – were detained in the Kensington area of ​​the city.

They said they were still opening their minds about the cause of the fire and were cooperating with Merseyside police as the investigation continued “at full speed”. Security, MI5, also helps.

Carl Bessant, her newborn partner, was in the hospital at the time of the explosion.

“My partner is really shocked when I tell the truth,” he said.

“We were close and she was breastfeeding the baby when that happened, we heard a loud noise and looked out the window.

“We saw a car burning and someone was coming out … shouting, someone was inside the car.

“The hospital is closed, no one comes in or out, so they said, but people were using the back door.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Twitter: “My thoughts are with all those affected by the tragic incident that took place in Liverpool today.

“I want to thank the paramedics for their prompt and professional response, as well as the police for their ongoing work in the investigation.”

Home Affairs Secretary Priti Patel also wrote on Twitter that she was “always informed of the tragic incident”.

At the scene

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
By Jim Clarke, deputy editor of BBC North West Tonight

The first attack took place around 13:00 GMT on Rutland Avenue in the Seefton Park area of ​​the city. It is 0.75 miles from the hospital. It is an urban area with large Victorian houses.

The raid was divided into apartments. Residents say they have not seen anyone coming out or leaving for weeks – they think no one is there. The road is still fenced off and some residents have been evacuated.

Police also appeared on Boaler Street in the Kensington area of ​​the city. It is about a mile from the hospital.

Eyewitnesses said armed police arrived around 2 p.m. and stormed a house. They said they saw men arrested and handcuffed. They were led by armed police into a car. That road is also fenced off.


Chief Constable Serena Kennedy, of Merseyside Police, tried to reassure the community, saying such incidents were rare and would increase police presence on the streets in the coming days.

The bomb disposal unit and firefighters arrived at the scene earlier, which has been closed. Road closures are also in place.

Continue Reading

Trending

    Copyright © 2021 Werbinfoera.com